Add Gadget

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Home Cleaning Services - Luxury or Necessity?


Some might say it depends on where you live, how much money you make, whether you work outside the home,or some other variable, but the question remains the same.......is having a house cleaner a luxury or a necessity?

I recently read the Coming Clean article in the July 2010 issue of Parent's Magazine, and could relate to much of the article. A few lines that really stood out to me were:
"The refrigerator and stove are streaked with hasty dinner efforts. If we were a restaurant, we'd be closed down by the health department."
"...once you have your house cleaned by someone else, it really is like being addicted. I'd eat beans every night before giving it up."

Maybe that's it.......if you haven't had your home cleaned by someone else, you don't know what you're missing. I had someone come in to clean my home just once. I was so excited. I thought the price was right and I even de-cluttered the day before (which you'll soon learn is an ongoing activity for me) so that she would have no trouble getting to anything. What a let down my experience was. She advertised wiping walls, dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing floors and bathrooms, and so on. When she left the house smelled fabulous. I loved whatever cleaning agent she used, that is on what she DID clean. I wasn't picky either. I didn't even care about the deep cleaning steps she advertised, I was happy for everyday cleaning. However she never even wiped the kitchen counters or stove, and completely forgot to vacuum the living room carpet or sweep and mop the kitchen and dining room. I never bothered to contact her again, nor did I contact another cleaner, but after this article, I really want to. I feel my house is constantly in disarray and I truly cannot relax in messes. I try to catch up, but it seems like a trade off. Sure I can get the kitchen spotless, but then I walk into the living room and see the mess my 2 year old made while I was busy in the kitchen. I often feel it's not worth it. Then I decided no problem, I do everything once both kids are in bed. Well then it's so late I've spent no time with my husband. Where is the middle? A cleaning person would solve many of these issues. I believe I'll do some research on cost and approach my husband with this.




So, leave a comment and confess.... Do you use a cleaning person? If so, what's your reason? If you don't use a cleaning person, tell us why not. Let's hear everyones opinion!

Everyone who leaves a comment with their opinion will be entered to win an awesome Febreze Home Collection Gift Package, so no matter who cleans your home, it will smell nice. (Earn extra chances too. Details below)





Febreze prize package includes: 1 linen & sky and 1 hawaiian aloha set & refresh, 1 pomegranate mango scented reed diffuser, 1 pomegranate mango flameless luminary starter kit, 1 pomegranate mango flameless luminary refill package, 1 pomegranate mango room spray, 4 home collection coupon booklets, and 4 set & refresh coupons.


1 winner will be chosen at random on Thursday, July 22, 2010
Here's how to enter:

Leave your opinion in a comment on this post - 1 entry

Follow The Mommie Confessions blog - 1 entry

Follow The Mommie Confessions on Twitter - 1 entry

Tweet a link to this blog post - 1 entry per tweet per day (be sure to include @mommieconfess in your tweet)

Like/Fan The Mommie Confessions on Facebook - 1 entry

Share/Post link to this blog post on Facebook - 1 entry per post per day (be sure to c&p your post on our wall)


AND THE WINNER IS: 
Comment #8 - Mom Caboodle!

Thank you to everyone who participated.  Please continue following as there are some fantastic giveaways coming up!

13 comments:

  1. There are times when a cleaning service is a necessity . . . for your own sanity, health, happiness. It's great to say how your spouse, your children, should pitch in and help, but it's a theory that doesn't always work in practice. So why beat yourself up, why fuss at those you love? Occasionally let someone come in and make a "clean sweep" of it and enjoy the time saved by being relaxed and doing something pleasant with your family. Like the Mastercard commercial, it's priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hired someone. They're coming for the first time tomorrow. I work part time and have 3 kids, I deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clean my own house. If I hired someone, I would feel like I would have to clean the house before they arrived ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow via Google Friend Connect

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow you on Twitter (momcaboodle)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/MomCaboodle/status/18735487029

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like on Facebook (Shanna Bailes)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have someone come in once a week and it was the greatest day of the week! I wish I had the money to do it now! I have even considered quitting my job to clean for other people to try to make some great money, but then my house would still continue to go uncleaned :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have kids yet, but when I get behind, I'm sure I'll hire someone to catch me up. But I wouldn't have them coming every week. It's just a nice little treat that helps every once in a while. And if the husband complains.. tell him to get you caught up! :)

    stephanie_dunbar07*hotmail*com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm following you on Twitter- SteCold

    stephanie_dunbar07*hotmail*com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a facebook liker of the mommie confessions!
    Stephanie Coldwell
    stephanie_dunbar07*hotmail*com

    ReplyDelete